Publications and Grants
- Ajit Narayanan, Elizabeth A. Farmer and Michael J. Greco. 2018. Multisource feedback as part of the Medical Board of Australia’s Professional Performance Framework: outcomes from a preliminary study. BMC Medical Education, 18:323 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-018-1432-7
- Narayanan A, Greco M (2016) Patient experience of Australian general practices. Big Data 4:1, 31–46, DOI: 10.1089/big.2016.0010.
- Narayanan, A. and Greco, M. 2014 “The Dental Practice Questionnaire: A patient feedback tool for improving the quality of dental practices”. Australian Dental Association Journal. Vol.59: 334–348
- Narayanan, A., Greco, M. Reeves, P. et al. 2014. “Community pharmacy performance evaluation: Reliability and validity of the Pharmacy Patient Questionnaire (PPQ)”. International Journal of Healthcare Management. Vol.27, 103-119.
- Ajit Narayanan, Michael Greco, Helen Powell, and Louise Coleman. The Reliability of Big “Patient Satisfaction” Data. Big Data. September 2013, 1(3): 141-151. doi:10.1089/big.2013.0021.
- Christine Wright; Suzanne H Richards; Jacqueline Hill; Martin Roberts; Geoff Norman; Michael Greco; Matthew RS Taylor; John L Campbell. 2012. Multisource feedback in evaluating the performance of doctors: the example of the UK General Medical Council Patient and Colleague Questionnaires. Academic Medicine, Vol. 87, No. 12. 1668–1678
- Campbell John L, Roberts, Martin; Wright, Christine; Hill, Jacqueline; Richards, Suzanne; Greco, Michael; Taylor, Matthew. 2011. Factors associated with variability in the assessment of UK doctors’ professionalism: an analysis of survey results. BMJ; 343:d6212
- Narayanan, A.; Greco, M.; Powell, H. and Bealing T. 2011. Measuring performance of hospital doctors through colleague and patient feedback. Journal of Management & Marketing in Healthcare. Vol.4, No.2:180-195.
- Bryan Burford, Michael Greco, Ajay Bedi, Gill Morrow, Charlotte Kergon, Jan Illing, Moira Livingston. 2011. Does questionnaire-based patient feedback reflect the important qualities of clinical consultations? Context, benefits and risks. Patient Education and Counselling Vol. 84, No. 2: e28–e36.
- Campbell, J., Narayanan, A., Burford, B. and Greco, M. 2010. Validation of a multi-source feedback tool for use in general practice. Education for Primary Care. Vol.21, 165-179.
- L Baker, M J Greco and A Narayanan . “Doctors using patient feedback to establish professional learning goals: Results from a communication skill development programme.” Chapter 22 (pp 303-314) in Pease, W.; Cooper, M. and Gururajan, R. 2010. Biomedical Knowledge Management: Infrastructures and Processes for E-Health Systems. IGI Publishing, Pennsylvania USA.
- Narayanan, A; Greco, M. and Campbell, J. 2010. Generalisability for unbalanced, uncrossed and fully nested studies. Medical Education, 44: 367–378.
- Campbell J, Roland M, Richards S, Dickens A, Greco M, Bower P. 2009. Users’ reports and evaluations of out-of-hours health care and the UK national quality requirements: a cross sectional study. Br J Gen Pract, 59 (558):e8-15.
- Burford, B; Bedi, A; Morrow, G; Kergon, C; Illing, J; Livingston, M and Greco, M. 2009 Collecting patient feedback in different clinical settings: Problems and solutions. The Clinical Teacher, 6: 259–264.
- Powell, R., Powell, H., Baker, L. and Greco, M. 2009. Patient Partnership in Care. A new instrument for measuring patient-professional partnership in the treatment of long term conditions. Journal of Management and Marketing in Healthcare, Vol.2 No.4, 325-342.
- Richards, S H, Campbell, J L, Walshaw, E, Dickens, A, and Greco, M, 2009. Assessing the professional performance of UK doctors: An Analysis of qualitative comments from the General Medical Council colleague questionnaires. Medical Education. Vol.43, 757-766.
- Campbell, JL; Richards, SH; Dickens, A; Greco, M; Narayanan, A. and Brearley, S. 2008. Assessing the professional performance of UK doctors: an evaluation of the utility of the General Medical Council patient and colleague questionnaires. Quality in Health Care. 17, No.3: 187-193.
- Powell RJ, Powell, HJ and Greco MJ (2008) The impact of patient survey feedback in general practice: the influence of practice size. Journal of Management & Marketing in Healthcare, Vol 1, No.2, 202-213.
- Campbell JL, Dickens A, Richards SH, Pound P, Greco M, Bower P. 2007. Capturing users’ experience of UK out-of-hours primary medical care: piloting and psychometric properties of the Out-of-hours Patient Questionnaire. Quality & Safety in Health Care: Vol.16: 462-468.
- Richards S, Pound P, Dickens A, Greco M, Campbell JL. 2007. Exploring users’ experiences of out-of-hours primary medical care services. Quality & Safety in Health Care: Vol.16: 469-477.
- Narayanan, A. and Greco, M. What distinguishes general practitioners from consultants, according to colleagues? Journal of Healthcare Management and Marketing. Vol.1 No.1: 80-87
- Greco, M. 2006. Raising the bar on consumer feedback – improving health services. The Australian Health Consumer. 2005-06 (Issue 3): 11-12.
- Greco, M.; Carter, M.; Powell, R.; Sweeney, K.; Jolliffe, J. and Stead, J. 2006. Impact of patient involvement in general practice. Education for Primary Care. Vol.17: 486-95.
- Squire, S.; Greco, M.; O’Hagan, B; Dickinson, K and Wall, D. Being patient-centred: creating health care for our grandchildren. Clinical Governance: An International Journal. Vol.11 No.1: 8-16.
- Al-Shawi, A.K.; MacEachern, A.G., Greco, M.J. Patient assessment of surgeons’ interpersonal skills: a tool for appraisal and revalidation. Clinical Governance: An International Journal. Vol.10 (No.3): 212-16.
- Carter, M.; Roland, M.; Bower, P.; Gask, L.; Greco, M. and Jenner, D. 2004. Improving your practice with patient surveys. National Primary Care Research and Development Centre (Manchester), and Client-Focused Evaluations Program (Exeter), United Kingdom.
- Greco, M.; Powell, R.; Jolliffe, J.; Sweeney, K. and Wyatt, K. Evaluation of a clinical governance training programme for non-executive directors of NHS organisations. Quality in Primary Care. Vol.12:117-25
- Greco, M.; Carter, M; Powell, R.; Sweeney, K. and Stead, J. 2004. Does a patient survey make a difference? Education for Primary Care. Vol.15 (No.2): 183-189.
- Carter, M.; Greco, M.; Sweeney, K. et al. 2004. Impact of systematic patient feedback on general practices, staff, patients and primary care trusts. Education for Primary Care. Vol.15: 30-38.
- Greco, M.; Powell, R. and Sweeney, K. 2003. The Improving Practice Questionnaire (IPQ): a practical tool for general practices seeking patient views. Education for Primary Care. Vol.14: 440-448.
- Sweeney, G.; Sweeney, K.; Greco, M. & Stead, J. 2002. Was there a straw that broke the camel’s back? Factors influencing decisions to resign as a primary care group clinical governance lead. The Journal of Clinical Governance. Vol.10: 187-194.
- Greco, M. and Powell, R. A patient feedback tool for nurses. Primary Health Care. Vol.12 (10): 38-41.
- Audit Commission (2002) A Focus on General Practice in England. Holbrooks Printers
- Ltd: Portsmouth, England.
- NHS Modernisation Agency. 2002. Improvement Leaders’ Guide to Involving Patients and Carers. Ancient House Printing Group: Ipswich, United Kingdom.
- Sweeney, G.; Sweeney, K.; Greco, M. and Stead, J. 2002. Primary care clinical governance: what’s happening on the ground? Clinical Governance Bulletin. Vol.3, No.1: 10-12.
- Greco, M.; Spike, N.; Powell, R. and Brownlea, A. 2002. Assessment of GP registrars’ communication skills: a comparison of patient and GP examiner ratings. Medical Education. Vol. 36: 366-376.
- Sweeney, G., Sweeney, K., Greco, M. and Stead, J. 2002. Softly, softly, the way forward? A qualitative study of the first year of implementing clinical governance in primary care. Primary Health Care Research and Development. Vol.3: 53-64.
- Greco, M. and Carter, M. 2002. Improving Practice Questionnaire (IPQ) Tool Kit. Aeneas Press: Chichester, UK.
- Greco, M. 2001. Empowering the public: active patient involvement within the GP practice. Primary Care Network. Issue 38: 2.
- Carter, M. and Greco, M. 2001. Measuring performance in general practice. British Journal of General of Practice. October, 847-848.
- Greco, M.; Sweeney, K.; Brownlea, A. and McGovern, J. 2001. The Practice Accreditation and Improvement Survey (PAIS) – what patients think. Australian Family Physician. Vol.30, No.11, 1096-1100.
- Greco, M., Sweeney, K.; Broomhall, J. and Beasley, P. 2001. Patient assessment of interpersonal skills: a clinical governance activity for hospital doctors and nurses. Journal of Clinical Excellence. Vol.3, No.3: 117-124
- Sweeney,G., Sweeney, K., Greco, M. and Stead, J. 2001. Moving clinical governance forward: capturing the experiences of primary care group leads. Clinical Governance Bulletin. Vol.2, No.1: 6-7.
- Greco, M. and Bradley, N. 2001. How Exeter PCG provides GPs with effective patient feedback. Vision. Issue 9 (February), 15-17.
- Greco, M. and Pocklington, S. 2001. Incorporating patient feedback into vocational training: an interpersonal skills development exercise for GP Trainers and Registrars. Education for General Practice. Vol.12, No.3: 285-291.
- Sweeney, G., Stead, J. Sweeney, K., & Greco, M., 2001. Exploring the Implementation and Development of Clinical Governance in Primary Care within the South West Region: Views from PCG Clinical Governance Leads. WISDOM Website (http://wisdomnet.co.uk/cgmenu.html), Spring Conference, February 2001.
- Greco, M. 2000 “Assessing the quality of communication using patient feedback”. Clinical Governance Bulletin. Vol 1. No.3, 4-5.
- Smith, J., Greco, M. and Martin, M. 2001. “The General Practice Curriculum, Ownership and Aboriginal Health”. Focus on Health Professional Education. Vol.3, No.1: 7-15.
- Greco, M., Brownlea, A. and McGovern. 2001. Impact of patient feedback on the interpersonal skills of GP Registrars: results of a longitudinal study. Medical Education. 35, 748-756.
- Greco, M. 2001. Enhancing the quality of general practice through patient feedback. In Field, S., Strachan, R. and Evans, G (Eds). The General Practice Jigsaw: the future of education, training and professional development.. Radcliffe Medical Press: Chapter 2, pp 13-20.
- Greco, M.; Brownlea, A.; McGovern, J.; and Cavanagh, M. 2000 “Consumers as educators: implementation of patient feedback in general practice training”. Health Communication. Vol.12, No.2, 173-193.
- Greco, M. 2000. “Patient questionnaire gives PCGs quality feedback about services”. Primary Care Report. Vol.2, Issue 3, 29-30.
- Greco, M. and Brownlea, A. 2000. “Patient input accentuates the positive”. Doctor. 13 July, 42-43.
- Greco, M.; Cavanagh, M.; Brownlea, A.; and McGovern, J. 1999. “Validation studies of the Doctors’ Interpersonal Skills Questionnaire”. Education for General Practice. Vol.10, pp256-264.
- Buckley, J.; Greco, M.; Field, D.; McGovern, J. and Brownlea, A. 1998. “Facilitating patient outcomes through improving patient-doctor communication”. Patient Education and Counselling. Vol.34, Suppl.1, pp S48-S50.
- Greco, M.; Francis, W.; Buckley, J.; Brownlea, A. and McGovern, J. 1998. “Real-patient evaluation of communication skills teaching for GP Registrars.” Family Practice, Vol. 15, No.1: pp 51-57.
- Greco, M.; Buckley, J. and Francis, W. 1997. “Triads: an effective method for learning the art of listening.” Education for General Practice, Vol.8, No.4: pp 329-334.
- Greco, M.; Brownlea, A. and McGovern, J. 1995. “Utilising patient feedback in the RACGP Training Program: An exploratory study”. Australian Family Physician. Vol.24, No.6, 1077-1081.
- Greco, M. 1990. Following the footsteps of Jesus Christ: Sameness and Difference in the lives of St Francis and St Clare. The Chord, Vol.8, No.2, 43-47.
- Greco, M., Powell, R.; Sweeney, K. and Jolliffe, J. Fit for the Role: Understanding Critical Appraisal of Clinical Governance. A Trainer’s Manual for Developing Workshops on Clinical Governance. NHSE (South West) and the Exeter and North Devon NHS Research and Development Support Unit: Exeter, United Kingdom.
- Buckley, J.; Francis, W. and Greco, M. “Good interpersonal skills in 15 minutes: an educational module for improving interpersonal skills within the medical consultation”. RACGP Training Program, Australia.
- Jones, B.; Greco, M.; Buckley, J. and Field, D. “Improving practice through the use of audits: an educational module for GP supervisors and GP registrars”. RACGP Training Program, Australia.
- Brownlea, A.; Buckley, B.; Field, D.; Francis, W.; Greco, M. and McGovern, J. “Doctors Advancing Interpersonal Skills (DAIS): A Workbook/Video Educational Program”. CFEP, Australia.
Grants awarded for research and other funding
|Year||Awarding Body||Amount (AUD)||Topic|
|2019||Royal Australian College of General Practitioners||$150,000||Multisource Feedback and Practice Experience Program Candidates|
|2016||Commonwealth Department of health||$3.2 million||Health Care Homes|
|2015||Pharmacy Guild||$130,000||Phase 4: Systematic patient feedback|
|2013||Pharmacy Guild||$154,000||Phase 3: Systematic patient feedback|
|2012||Pharmacy Guild||$198,000||Phase 2: Systematic patient feedback|
|2011||Pharmacy Guild||$108,000||Phase 1: Systematic patient feedback|
|2009||Department of Health and Ageing||$395,000||Chronic Disease Self Management|
|2008||Southside Partnership Council||$395,000||Chronic Disease Strategy|
|2007||Health Foundation (UK)||£1,020,000||Co-creating Health Project|
|2005||General Medical Council||£250,000||Validating questionnaires for use in Revalidation|
|2004||Department of Health (UK)||£22,000||Developing an Out-of-Hours Patient Questionnaire|
|2002||The National Health Service National Modernisation Agency||£33,000||Evaluating Critical Friends Groups|
|2001||South West Regional Health Authority||£55,0000||Pathfinder PALS Patient and Public Involvement Collaborative PCT Scheme|
|2001||South West Regional Health Authority||£11,000||Scoping study on clinicians’Education and Training communication training|
|2000||North and East Devon Health Authority||£6,600||Establishing Critical Friend Groups in Primary Care|
|2000||South West Regional Health Authority||£28,000||Clinical Governance Public Health and Non-Executive Directors|
|2000||South West Regional Health Authority||£11,000||Evaluating IPQ Public Health|
|2000||The National Health Service Trusts||£2,200||Assessing interpersonal skills of hospital doctors and nurses|
|2000||Royal College of General Practitioners||N/A||Implementing Doctors’ Interpersonal Skills Questionnaire in the Royal College of General Practitioners Accredited Professional Development Pilot|
|2000||South West VTS||£900||Utilising Doctors’ Interpersonal Skills Questionnaire in UK General Practice Training|
|2000||South West Regional Health Authority||£2,800||Patient Perception of Illness Severity|
|1999||Department of Health Australia||$15,100||Aboriginal Health|
|1998||Royal Australian College of General Practitioners Outcomes Evaluation Unit||$79,480||Outcomes fo Training|
|1998||Royal Australian College of General Practitioners Training Program||$4,250||Module on Active Listening Skills|
|1997||Royal Australian College of General Practitioners Training Program||$7,156||Evaluating GP Trainers|
|1995||Department of Health||$85,700||Patient Feedback|
|1994||Royal Australian College of General Practitioners Evaluation Task Force||$53,350||Patient Feedback|